Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Risk VS.Reward Equation

As most know, I have made the decision to discontinue my sailing adventure and head back to the west coast.  This is a very sad decision for me and one I did not make lightly.  I honestly wanted to complete the trip.  I do not like to quit after making a commitment.  However, I made a promise to nearly all of you that I would put my personal safety at the very top of my priority list.  Unfortunately, the point came where I was no longer confident that my personal safety was ensured, so I decided to keep my promise and end the trip.

I have lots more photos than I've posted,and lots more memories too.  I still need to blog about the trip down the East River in NYC, but that'll keep for a few more days.  In keeping with the title of this post, I have something else on my mind.

Most people thought I was pretty nuts for picking up everything and heading off on an adventure of such epic proportions.  Certainly it felt like that to me as well, however, I felt the rewards were sufficient enough to warrant the risk..  I still feel like that.  I spent about 4 days in Salem... would I have ever seen it otherwise?  Unlikely.  I sailed the Cape Cod canal.  Would that have ever been something I'd do otherwise?  I cannot imagine it would.  I saw small towns and met people in New England that gave me better insight to the region.  In three short weeks I did more than any landlubber would ever be able to accomplish.  The risk was truly worth the reward.  My only regret is that it has to end too soon.  I wanted to do the next part of the trip in a bad way.

It's official.  I'm hooked on sailing.  I'm going to learn how to sail properly, and I'm going to look for ways to complete the journey I started.  I encourage each of you to do the same.  You will never look at life the same again.  It's not an easy life, it takes many sacrifices.  But it's so worth it.  Honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment